Oral hygiene is a powerful tool for anyone who wants to have a bright and healthy smile.
- Teeth are clean and healthy.
- Gums are pink colored and do not bleed when using a toothbrush or dental floss.
- Unpleasant breath is not an issue.
In order to ensure good oral hygiene, the following rules are important:
- brush your teeth every morning and before going to bed
- brush your teeth after every meal
- floss on a daily basis
- use mouthrinse when indicated
- visit your dentist at least once every 6 months, or earlier if you suspect a problem or if your dentist has recommended this
- always follow your dentist’s instructions regarding oral hygiene.
Typically, you should be visiting your dentist for dental cleaning 1-2 times per year, as instructed by your dentist. Your dentist will clean your teeth in depth using special instruments (including fine hand tools and ultrasound), which is not possible with a toothbrush at home. Once dental cleaning is completed, your dentist will polish your teeth, using a slow speed handpiece with a soft rubber cup that spins on the end. Prophylaxis paste is spun around on the teeth to make them shiny. During dental cleaning, gums tend to bleed slightly, especially if you suffer from gingivitis. Such bleeding is normal and shouldn’t worry you. Once the cleaning is completed, your dentist will also examine your teeth to check if there are infections or other dental issues that need to be treated.
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is surgically anchored into your jaw to hold a replacement tooth or bridge in place. The benefit of using implants is that they don't rely on neighbouring teeth for support and they are permanent and stable. Implants are a very good solution to tooth loss because they look and feel like natural teeth.
Dental implants are recommended:
1) Following a tooth extraction. The extracted tooth can be replaced by an implant without affecting the neighbouring teeth
2) Partial lack of teeth. When more than one tooth is missing, the gap can be covered with two or more implants.
3) Total lack of teeth. Implants represent the most advanced technique allowing us to deal with issues usually arising from removable dentures. The technology of dental implants has significantly evolved during recent years, allowing them to be used in almost all cases.
The technology of dental implants has significantly evolved during recent years, allowing them to be used in almost all cases.
Teeth whitening is a cosmetic technique which allows for an improvement in the colour of your teeth, even if they have undergone endodontic treatment. It does not affect tooth replacements, such as dentures or crowns. Organic materials are used resulting in shinier, whiter teeth when compared to the original colour. Teeth whitening results are not permanent. They tend to last for 2 – 3 years, provided that the patient follows certain rules. Treatment can be performed at the dental practice within 2-3 visits or at home within 1-2 weeks.
Please consult our dental practice to choose the most suitable treatment.
The substance used for teeth whitening is mild and affects only the outer tooth enamel at a level which is visible only through an electronic microscope. Any side effects such as gum irritation or tooth sensitivity will clear up completely within 1-2 weeks. The bleaching procedure at Dental Smiles can be done using either laser or LED, with immediate visible results. Any sensitivity that might occur will not last more than a couple of days and is easily treated with simple fluoridation (saturation of enamel surface with fluoride preparation), special gel or a toothpaste containing saltpetre (Potassium nitrate).